Thursday, February 21, 2019

Lessons with a student teacher

I have taken on the responsibility of working with a student teacher.  So far, so good.  Some caveats.

First, let go of your classes.  We become so attached to our students, even with all their quirks and annoyances, that we forget to share them.  We indeed own our students for a school year.  With a student teacher, I've had to let go of them.  In all honesty, I have been pleasantly surprised how our relationships have grown.  We all kinda own a stake in this new teacher, and it's been fun.

Second, step back and take inventory of your own effect in the classroom.  I have had time to realize I had so many dreams for my classes this year, and then the business of the year gets in the way.  Certainly, having one of my real life kids getting married only added to the madness.  But, we're through all that, and now I can remember some of the things I had planned for this year.  My students and this new teacher will surely benefit as we move forward.

Finally, I had my formal observation last week.  It went really well.  I was very pleased with what admin saw.  And as much as I hate hubris, I'm starting to become more and more confident in my methodology.  I'm not perfect, but I hope all new teachers realize how important their own confidence will serve them as they progress in this profession.

It's been a very trying year for so many of us.  But, I've never worked with a better overall group of teachers.  Our students are incredibly lucky to have these folks as their teachers.  I've even luckier to be working with them.

Peace

-------

"I'm surrounded by nothing but great people. I've been blessed with that, so really, I have no choice but to be an all-around good person."
-Tim Duncan

No comments:

Post a Comment

January 2021

 Since my last entry, much has happened.  Nothing I type here should obscure the fact an additional 200,000 Americans have been killed by Co...