Friday, June 8, 2018



I sat in my classroom yesterday, listening as the students in the last class of the school year screamed lyrics in unison to their favorite songs.  It was an interesting moment to see what motivates 7th graders. 

I think the music was a definite motivational factor.  But, the singing and screaming was done by 4 girls who quite frankly just did not get along at the beginning of the year.  And yet, there they were, singing together at the top of their lungs for each song they chose from an endless playlist.

I'm sure I rolled my eyes a few times, but they laughed at me when I pretended to enjoy the beat.  Dancing is not my forte, but I enjoyed their good-natured ribbing when I caught myself jamming along.

Then, it occurred to me last night.  Our students get to see 8 different rock stars everyday during the school year.

Like in the picture above, our students might see U2 in their fully involved showmanship and technology.  Or, they might see Bob Seger simply sit up front and play his songs for himself and for us to enjoy.  They might see Huey Lewis on a hot sweaty night in Helotes.  They might see Chris Stapleton from the floor of the AT&T Center as he sings about life.

What all musical artists have in common is how they connect to their audiences.  And isn't that exactly what teachers have in common with each other?

The simple fact is this:  I work with some true rock stars.  5 years ago, I never thought I would be here writing about this particular middle school in this way.  We have some of the most challenging students and circumstances in our district.  The numbers simply do not lie.

And yet, from our administrators on down, we have embraced this population.  It's not for everyone.  We see lots of teacher turnover each year.  But, that's okay.  I know certain teachers are brought here for a reason, and they leave for others. 

I recognize this school and this year for what it was.  And, I will use it next year to again work at  being a rock star for my students and colleagues alike.

What an honor.  What a privilege.  What a blessing.

Peace

"The problems of today will soon be buried by the sand of time."
-Chinese Proverb

No comments:

Post a Comment

January 2021

 Since my last entry, much has happened.  Nothing I type here should obscure the fact an additional 200,000 Americans have been killed by Co...